Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Monday, January 19, 2009


I'm itching to garden ... but must wait, and wait. So while waiting, I'm researching a few new gardening gadgets to try this coming spring. This wall of water product (through Burpee) has piqued my interest! A neighbor of mine swore by them last year. She was the only one in our area with vine ripened tomatoes. While ours didn't even begin to ripen until late September ... early October ... picked green and stored in the basement.

3 comments:

Felisol said...

Hello Mrs. mac,
I'm sure you'll come up with a good idea for better products.
I, on the other hand, have not yet spread my ten sacks of soil to cover up the plants from frost.

I promise next time when it is raining outside, I'll get it done.
Just now the soil is frozen to stone...

From Felisol

Margie said...

I love reading this stuff! I have a compost pile now :) well... I'll have one in the spring, right now it's covered in snow :)

Maggie Ann said...

this is news to me....and rather amazing. Who wouldn't want their tomatoes to ripen earlier?