Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Buttery Spread. I've been experimenting with making a butter based spread for toast. I'm not a big fan of margarine ... yet butter is very expensive if you're on a thrifty budget, and it's impossible to spread on bread when cold. Years ago I read about a mixture that had equal parts of light olive oil and butter ... a half/half recipe. Yesterday I tried my hand at such a mixture and tested it out on my kids. They all like the end results. Not having any light olive oil, I substituted vegetable oil. Next time, I'll try using the light olive oil.

1 stick very soft butter
1/2 cup light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
pinch of salt

In a bowl, mix the two oils together along with a pinch of salt. I used my stick blender. Put in a covered container and store in the refrigerator. The consistency is soft enough to spread right from the fridge. My next attempt will be to make a light whipped buttery spread ... stay tuned.

6 comments:

donna said...

I cant wait to try this....thank you

hugs
donna

Margie said...

I love your thrifty living!! You are inspiring

Pat said...

With the high price of olive oil, I wonder how much $ you save? One good thing...it does make it spreadable right out of the fridge and you get the benefit of the olive oil. I am a butter lover and never by margarine. I thank my mother for that!

Mrs. Mac said...

Pat ... this really should have been a post about making a 'heart-better' butter ... than a less expensive knock off. But if you use veggie oil it's a less expensive route to go.

Pat said...

Ahh..gotcha! Who would't want a better heart?!

Anonymous said...

I gotta try this out sometime. I use Smart Balance Oil that has a mixture of Olive oil and some others and is less expensive than the pure stuff. It has a lot of Omegas and I like that.