“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Buttery Spread. I've been experimenting with making a butter based spread for toast. I'm not a big fan of margarine ... yet butter is very expensive if you're on a thrifty budget, and it's impossible to spread on bread when cold. Years ago I read about a mixture that had equal parts of light olive oil and butter ... a half/half recipe. Yesterday I tried my hand at such a mixture and tested it out on my kids. They all like the end results. Not having any light olive oil, I substituted vegetable oil. Next time, I'll try using the light olive oil.

1 stick very soft butter
1/2 cup light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
pinch of salt

In a bowl, mix the two oils together along with a pinch of salt. I used my stick blender. Put in a covered container and store in the refrigerator. The consistency is soft enough to spread right from the fridge. My next attempt will be to make a light whipped buttery spread ... stay tuned.

6 comments:

byhisgracealone said...

I cant wait to try this....thank you

hugs
donna

Margie said...

I love your thrifty living!! You are inspiring

Pat said...

With the high price of olive oil, I wonder how much $ you save? One good thing...it does make it spreadable right out of the fridge and you get the benefit of the olive oil. I am a butter lover and never by margarine. I thank my mother for that!

Mrs. Mac said...

Pat ... this really should have been a post about making a 'heart-better' butter ... than a less expensive knock off. But if you use veggie oil it's a less expensive route to go.

Pat said...

Ahh..gotcha! Who would't want a better heart?!

Jenifer Harrod said...

I gotta try this out sometime. I use Smart Balance Oil that has a mixture of Olive oil and some others and is less expensive than the pure stuff. It has a lot of Omegas and I like that.