“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, June 18, 2009

The turnip greens are growing. I had to thin out this section of the garden. Soup's on! Today's fare included the wilted turnip greens and a few small turnips, thinly sliced ham, garden garlic. Can't get much fresher than that!
Last winter when time was plentiful, I froze and canned chicken stock ... and cooked white beans to freeze. These are handy items to have available for a quick batch of soup at lunch time.

To freeze cooked beans: Sort and wash your beans. Soak overnight. Discard the water and place the beans in a large pot. Add water to cover the beans by one inch. Add some diced ham if available (optional). Add a few pinches of salt and bring to a boil cooking until just barely tender. Let cool. Ladle beans and liquid into freezer jars 2/3's full to allow for expansion when frozen. Label the container and date. These will keep frozen in a deep freezer for at least six months. To thaw and use, just remove from the freezer a few hours ahead of time. I like to rinse the beans before adding to soups. If I'm short on containers, I've used plastic quart size freezer bags ... just squeeze out the air before freezing.

2 comments:

Star said...

I freeze chicken stock too and it is lovely in soups, isn't it. I've never frozen beans, but I expect they freeze really well, don't they. I like bean soup and stew, but it does have a way of reminding you about itself later on, doesn't it.
I like the design of your Blog and I enjoy reading it. Write on...
Blessings, Star

LynnS said...

Thank you for the info on freezing beans. I have never done this before, but will certainly make up a pot this week!

I also preserve my own chicken stock (as well as other stocks) because soup is a staple in our home.

I came to your blog via Rhonda's Down To Earth and surely identified with your comment on the simple living ideology. I think the majority of 'going green' is one of the latest fads in America. (Where were these folks 10 or 20 years ago?!)

Like you, I believe there is much about our economic recession that will force people to reassess what is truly important. With this cap-and-trade enormous tax that was just passed last night, I believe there will be many Americans who will not be able to pay the penalty taxes for this 'go green' movement.

I am enjoying your blog.
Lynn
http://woodridge.wordpress.com
http://fiberfantasies.wordpress.com