“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Wednesday, January 20, 2010



How'd you like a black eye .....


.....pea recipe?

Normally not one to succumb to supermarket checkout line magazines, this one caught my eye a few weeks ago. After briefly skimming through the recipes ... I put it back on the rack as hubby had already paid for our goods. Next time at the store, I took a little more time giving it my approval ... then succumbed. I can honestly say, this is one well written piece .. with good 'clean' food recipes and easy to understand articles about clean eating. With a name like 'Clean Eating' magazine ... what else would you expect. I checked out their website and found some easy to follow recipes ... if you're a gardener ... and put away some provisions for the winter ... most of the ingredients are probably in your pantry/freezer/root cellar.

Black Eyed Peas and Brown Rice

These are the ingredients:

• 4 cups cooked, cold, long-grain brown rice
• 1¼ cups water
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
• 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
• 1 butternut squash, about 1lb, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
• 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
• ½ tsp hot pepper sauce

but for directions and a view of the finished dish click here. Not one smidgen of butter or oil .. and yet it was very satisfying. My family gave this one a big thumbs up!

I cut this recipe in 1/2 and it made 5-6 servings

1 comment:

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

That sounds yummy. I'm intriged by the magazine too.