Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, April 08, 2010

April Grocery Roundup

Week Two:  I can not believe how much EASIER it is to shop with limited funds:)  Today was our second trip to town this month for a weeks worth of supplies.  Mr. MacFrugal is 100% behind the budget process.  He almost has a giddy attitude .. as if he has gold fever ... in reverse.  Gold fever in the fact the he's keeping more of his own gold;)  Today's grocery bags included:
  • Two gallons of whole milk (we make buttermilk, yogurt & now kefir)
  • 3 lbs of bananas
  • 10 lbs of organic carrots
  • 1 tub of cashews (I deferred buying vanilla at Costco til next month to get this for hubby;)
  • 1 head organic romaine lettuce
  • 5 lbs organic white whole wheat flour
  • 1 small baggy of bulk dried organic thyme
  • 2 bags of natural potato chips (such a deal .. some nice person left two $1 coupons behind;)
  • 1 package of local specialty bacon
  • 1 package of local specialty German sausage links
  • 1/2 lb local specialty roasted turkey breasts for sandwiches
  • 2 dozen local eggs
Grand Total:  $63

Local Stores:  Tim's Custom meats ($17), Pilgrims Health Food Store ($9),
National Chains:  Costco ($29), Walmart ($4)
local eggs ($4)

With or without economic hard times, are you on a living budget?  If so, how do you keep on track?

FreeFoto.com

6 comments:

Cindy said...

That's great! I'm planning on a trip to the super Walmart next week to see what kinds of organic foods they have. It's not convenient but if I go once or twice a month instead of every week it should work out ok.

Mama Rachael said...

I have a budget, though its not set in stone. I try to keep track of what I spend each month (though I can be lazy about it). I've seen some blogs with the budget on a side bar... anyone know about that?

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed reading about your shopping on a budget. We should do that, but my husband resists it, and refuses to shop wisely. We don't eat out much, so that helps with the budget. I'm working with him to drink the coffee he makes here for me and/or the coffee he makes at work for others instead of getting Starbucks every week day morning. It bugs me a lot!

DarcyLee said...

I am getting very serious with the grocery budget these days. We get paid once a month so it just makes sense for me to put the grocery money aside and put it in an envelope. My husband is fully on board (don't give up, Corner Garden Sue-it took my husband awhile to get it) which makes it so much easier.

Mrs. Mac said...

My biggest pet peeve with Mr. MacFrugal was his insistence on buying a case of bottled water once a month. It's so convenient he'd tell me. Well ... I have some nice glass bottles with screw top lids that he now uses ... getting him on board the budget ... showing him how much before and after $ we spend has helped. We also get ($100/each) spending money for the month to use as we want. If he wants to spend HIS money on a bottle of water ... then I don't squabble over that. Having one's own little envelope of cash helps keep the budget on track and eliminates differences of opinion (read ... arguments;)

LynnS said...

The one area I don't bother budgeting out is with food. I just try not not to buy too much all at once -- it seems to be about $100/week for us but I'm stockpiling, not just buying for everyday meals. Most grocery purchases are for fresh produce we don't have now or milk and butter. (Where are those dairy goats....)