Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Growing Tips for Organic Apples

I planted two apple trees several years ago and am always on the lookout for good organic growing advice. Last year I bagged the apples on the trees using small ziplock plastic bags.  The apples were pest free and delicious.  Today I came across this organic apple growing article and thought I'd share it with you.  Be sure to view the little pop up windows showing how to use brown paper bags and how to thin the apples.  A novice I am ... but hope to give my trees a good chance at being organic.  Proper root stock and apple variety is also helpful.  Placing insect traps will help alert you that the pests have started arriving as well.  If you have a good organic apple growing tip ... please share (pretty please:).  Now I'm off to stock up on little brown paper bags.

4 comments:

concretenprimroses said...

thank you for this. I'd like to have an apple tree again some day. We had a couple of ancient ones years ago.
Kathy

Mr. H. said...

Happy Mother's Day and thanks for the great information on apple trees. We hope to have more than a couple on a few of our trees this year with any luck. I suppose we will have to start thinking about pest problems as well now that are trees are getting a bit older and might actually start producing fruit.

MAYBELLINE said...

We have a super market here where you have to bag your own groceries. Upon checkout, I always grab a stack of small brown bags for such use. The store doesn't object.

I've seen this done on a large scale with pistachios and pecans.

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hello Mrs. Mac!

It has been a while since I have come for a visit. I hope you don't mind. ~wink~

I just want to say, you have a very enjoyable blog.

One thing we have learned in growing anything organically, is to just stop spraying chemicals around your yard/land. This allows the good bugs to come and set up house, keeping bad bugs at bay.

Have a wonderful day!

~Kris