Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Garden Playing

... catch up.  Looking at the garden, it is hard to tell that we got such a late start.  All but the corn is looking pretty good.  Here's what our bounty provided today.  The dark berries are a mix of wild black-cap raspberries and either wild blueberries or huckleberries.  Each day I freeze the berries (those that don't get eaten) to use in smoothies this winter.  One head of lettuce weighed two pounds and would feed an army or my family of eight several times over.  God's timing is perfect ... regardless of my lack of patience ;)

7 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, what an awesome bounty.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, how wonderful it all looks.

FlowerLady

Sandy said...

It me there's nothing quite
so beautiful as a container
full of garden fresh vegetables!
Eat them in health!
Hugs,
Sandy

Mr. H. said...

Your potatoes look amazing, I bet they are really good. We will have to dig out a few of our new ones soon and see how they taste too. I am still waiting on green beans, it looks like yours had a better start than mine and I love that you had such a large head of lettuce, ours never seem to get that big...really neat.

I think your wild blueberries might be service berries (Saskatoon). They are a wonderful berry that Native Americans used to make pemmican out of and very high in natural proteins. We have a few bushes in our yard but they did not produce well at all this year. They are a good pie berry too.:)

Mrs. Mac said...

Mr. H. I was wondering about the berries too. I've seen the service berries around the lake so these confused me a little .. as they are smaller and sweeter from what I remember tasting ... this is the first time I have even noticed these bushes on our property. I'm so surprised too that the lettuce got so huge without going to seed. The Swiss chard is picked as needed and then in a day or two .. viola .. a new crop :) We have a few more rows of potatoes to dig up before Mr. Vole becomes positively fat for the winter.

It's me ...Mavis said...

I'm still waiting on the last berries of the season: Blackberries... my favorite!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

In my Nebraska garden, I wouldn't be harvesting potatoes and lettuce at the same time, unless the potatoes held off dying back until fall, and I had a fall crop of lettuce.

That's a nice harvest, there. I planted some everbearing raspberries this spring, and while I was good about getting the blooms pinched off for awhile, I didn't keep up, and now have a few raspberries growing, especially on the largest plant. I took a few off, but decided I want to see if I can beat the birds to them when they ripen, and taste them. I like the idea of freezing some for smoothies.