Don't be in a big hurry to move out until:
- College classes finished and no student debt
- A paid-in-full used car
- An emergency fund of $1,000
- Know how to balance a checkbook
- Only use a credit card if you have the money in the bank already ... and it can be paid off immediately ... better yet, don't have one.
- Learn to cook using whole foods
- Make sure you and your future spouse are equally yoked; both spiritually and philosophically.
- While you are a DINK (double income no kids), live on one paycheck and bank the second, even if that means living in a mobile home or tiny apartment.
- Stay home with your children while they are small. Daycare is so expensive, and granny daycare (well, let's just say ... granny will be too old and worn out by then;). They are only small once and the window of opportunity to shape their future is very slim. If you have followed the DINK suggestion, then this one will be much easier. You don't have to keep up with the Jones ... just a rambunctious toddler or two.