Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Gardening Is:

Dream away Mrs. Mac!
  1. a learning curve
  2. evolving
  3. fun
  4. rewarding
  5. a late winter project to break up the doldrums by plotting, planning and planting seed starts
  6. good exercise
  7. a good dose of vitamin D
  8. full of fresh air
  9. an endorphin producer
It's early winter and rush of Christmas is over.  Time to start thinking about the garden.  In one month I'll check on my saved seeds and order any new varieties worth trying.  In two months my portable greenhouse will be pulled from the basement, dusted off, grow lights installed and we will have the start to our sixth year of gardening.  Thank goodness for this cycle ... it really pulls me along to get me out of the winter funk.

Are you dreaming about your garden just yet? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right! Always good to see the garden catalogs start to arrive!

Rebecca said...

I need this list! I've been dreaming for 64 years (well, not quite)... It's now or never, I think. I really do hope to have a tiny garden this year ... I'm thinking a few tomato plants and some leaf lettuce, etc. Just salad stuff to pick and eat - probably not for canning/freezing, etc. I have lived off of other peoples' gardens FAR too long :)

Enjoy your dreams! Spring will be here before we know it.

Mrs. Mac said...

After I typed this post I went through yesterday's mail and found my first seed catalog :)

Rebecca .. a salad garden is a perfect starter garden

Carol .. yes indeed .. those seed catalogs really do inspire.

Sandy Livesay said...

Before the snow, I prepared my garden beds for the new planting season. After preparing, I covered them with fresh straw and a little water. About two months ago, I went through all of my seeds to figure out what seeds I needed to purchase. Placed an order with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. Now I'm antsy, yes I've been dreaming. I can't wait to start planting. I think I will first start with my window sill, then move from there. I'm trying to convince Bulldog Man to make me a indoor greenhouse with a shelving unit we have. We shall see soon enough :-)

I like your portable greenhouse. What do you want to start planting?

Stella Jones said...

Yes I am. First thing I do in the garden after Christmas is go seeking bulbs, just coming up above the soil. It gives me joy to see the new season starting. I have the very same greenhouse thingy as you have. Great, aren't they! My cat thinks so too. She likes to sit in there when it's raining.

Anonymous said...

You are inspiring me again. My little garden last year didn't do too bad. Maybe I will try some new things this year and try starting from seeds. I wrote down "Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds". Hmmm... with my small garden, I could probably just start my seeds in the kitchen window... but your portable greenhouse looks fun. I kind of want one.