Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Saturday, August 04, 2018

Fermented Pickles

My favorite fermented pickle recipe.  I use my own pickling spice blend, but follow the recipe.  Fresh grape leaves can be used instead of horseradish leaves with the same results.

Of late, the cucumbers are not too abundantly producing, so I read a tip to spray a light sugar water mixture around the flowers to help attract pollinators.  Will try as pollination seems to be a problem of late.

When I don't have sufficient cukes to ferment, I buy this yummy-licious brand from the market - available year round.  They also make a mean fermented sauerkraut!

Pickles, pickles, pickles!


"On a hot day in Virginia, I know nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up trout-like from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below the stairs of Aunt Sally's cellar."
Thomas Jefferson


No comments: