Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Sunday, March 29, 2009


Furniture spray wax can be replaced with a home made formula to easily clean your wood furniture. By mixing 1/2 teaspoon olive oil with 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or vinegar) in a glass jar with a lid, you can dab a bit on a soft recycled cleaning rag when you dust (shake well before using). You can find similar recipes by searching the web. Bye-bye dust ... bye-bye expensive store bought products that pollute the air and take up space in the landfill. I like to think of it as 'salad dressing' for your furniture :) It really does work.

3 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
I went back to see if you had come up with something for my furniture. Sure you had. I'll try the olive oil/ vinegar mix.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a happy, green week.
From Felisol

Pear tree cottage! said...

my dear friend what a lovely idea, the smell of the lemon's would remind me of my grandmothers garden she grew the biggest lemons I have ever seen and now the tree has gone..........saddly!

I will be sure to mix some of that and will find a thousand spots to use it in my home.

How are you and your family spring must be close at hand as Autumn reaches out to us here.

Lee-ann

Maggie Ann said...

That sounds like it would smell good too.