Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, April 10, 2009



This week started out with great weather, so I've been able to work two days in the garden enlarging it by two and a half times the original size. There is plenty of room now for corn and two rows of potatoes (in trenches). Five or six raspberry plants and two blue berry bushes were relocated to a permanent home there. Rows were hoed for strawberry plants ... and tripod steaks were erected for pole beans and cucumbers. Everything and every plant is now being drawn up in my mind (and on paper ... a safer bet ;). Welded wire fencing was installed around the entire area to keep the deer and moose out. A gateway was left open for easy access ... some type of actual gate will be installed in a few weeks. It's a good start and I thank the Good Lord for the great weather. At the end of the day I'm feeling a 'good' tired from all the digging and pounding in fence posts. I'll post a few pictures soon.

5 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
your energy is inspiring.
Today I "inspired Gunnar to work several hours in the garden while I was cooking an easy dinner.
Clever me.
I set the last daffodil bulbs in February. They are already in full bloom.
Late bulber, early bloomer?
And I forgot my potatoes in the October frost.
Hopefully someone will set new spouses this year?
From Felisol the sloppy, but happy gardener.

Connie said...

Wow, your garden sound like it will be amazing. Can't wait for some photos!

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Mrs. Mac,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Maggie Ann said...

Oh wow, you've got a lot done and a great garden planted. I want to try planting potatoes too. Our garden is rototiled? but not planted yet. I put my seedlings outside to 'harden'..they got pretty leggy!

Maggie Ann said...

I love your Irish Prayer. That is precious. I'll have to jot it down. I've always wanted to try soap-making. Its kind of tricky isn't it? ...Are you still knitting dishcloths? I'm enjoying myself immensely over here..grin. there's wool everywhere in our family room, or so it seems. We drove up into Amish country today to shop at our dented can store. The scenery was beautiful but I kept falling asleep. Old age I guess! *hugs*