“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mystery ice cream flavor revealed:

Name: Winning name suggestion ... Banana Float (submitted by Patrick)

Ingredients: half and half, whole milk, sugar, rennet, ripe banana, birch (or root) beer extract.

The double blind fold test came back: Successful flavor! Good color, texture, taste, aroma!

Recipe: Makes 1/2 gallon

3 Junket (brand) rennet tablets
2 tablespoons cold water
3 cups of whole milk
2 cups of half and half (or heavy cream if you want to fatten your thighs ;)
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons birch or root beer extract
1 soft/ripe banana (no brown bruises please;)

Directions are here using the standard vanilla recipe .. of course substituting root beer for vanilla flavoring. Add a well smashed banana to the mixture during the last ten minutes of hand crank or electric freezing.

Inspiration: As a child I favored the banana and root beer freezer pops often eating one bite of banana followed by one bite of root beer. The mixture of flavors is quite good.

5 comments:

Letters From Midlife said...

I never would have thought of that flavor combination but I can see how it would be good. I love rootbeer floats.

Trish said...

Sounds yummy. I am trying a new recipe in my ice cream freezer for Memorial day.
Now they say it is delicious and extremely easy...
7 cans red cream soda
1 can evaporated milk
run in ice cream freezer...everyone loves it!
This is from a twitter friend who highly recommends it! I'm not using red cream soda because I prefer no food coloring.

Mrs. Mac said...

plain cream soda would be yummy! Worth a try!

Roasted Garlicious said...

okay okay!! your my friend forever... JUNKET!!! i tell people about one of my favorite childhood desserts.. JUNKET and they all look at me like i'm alien!! great recipe.. sounds delicious!!!

Mrs. Mac said...

I just made a second batch of this ice cream ... and am suggesting to cut down on the root beer extract a bit .. I used 4 tsp. the first time around and it was a good steady flavor .. but this last time I think maybe most of the concentrate was settled at the bottom of the bottle .. and boy does it have a rootie zing .. try two teaspoons of extract before adding more to the mix.

Mrs. Mac

Glad to see someone else uses Junket. You can make quite a lot of dishes with it .. puddings, cheeses, ice cream.