Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Monday, March 15, 2010

Double Digging

... the garden by hand.  It's a lot of work .. but I hope it will pay off with a bumper crop of food this year.  Helpful hubby huffed and hoisted a cubic yard of composted manure by the wheel barrel full as I hand dug.  He tilled and raked afterward.  One more truckload should suffice and it will be done.  Sonny Boy sliced two more dozen garden log stepping stones from a downed tree.  Pictures to follow as soon as I find my camera's charger. 

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Wishing you a most bountiful garden this year! Let us know how it progresses. We're trying something new this year... we put cardboard down in all the garden paths. To hold in moisture, cut down on weeds, encourage earthworms & keep us from mowing!

Mrs. Mac said...

That's a good idea about the cardboard on the garden paths Laurie. In the areas we used the stepping stones, I've got low growing herbs (creeping) creeping between the steps.

Lorie said...

Yes, double digging is a lot of work. We have done that method every year but last year we tried the square foot garden and had wonderful results with that. I actually saw an increase in production in our raised beds. And with out all the work. We modify it a bit to fit our needs, but with 10 raised beds, it saved a lot of digging.

Hope yours produces a huge yield...I can't wait for those greens and tomatoes.

Lorie

Kathryn said...

Oh, i'm tired just thinking about it! I'm not even doing all that well with my indoor herb garden. Hope it goes well for you.

Mr. H. said...

It sounds like you guys had quite a busy day and are off to a great gardening start. I've just started working my soil as well and am so happy to have all these sunny days to do it in.

I really like that picture. The torn dress, exhausted look, and how she is using both hands to rest on the rake.

LynnS said...

You will really appreciate working your soil as you have done. Sounds like you really are off to a fantastic start this year!

And just think how buff you're gonna be after this gardening season is over!