“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Monday, May 21, 2012

Natural Tansy Insect Repellant

We have wild tansy growing on our property.  It is listed as a noxious weed in Idaho, but we don't have much of it so I leave some of it to grow instead of mowing over it.  You can use it as a companion plant with cabbage and other garden plants as an insect repellant.  I'm going to make a spray to keep cabbage worms at bay.  Once used for medicinal purposes such as de-worming, it has toxic properties and should be used with caution for human consumption.  However, as a natural insect repellant, I'm going to give it a try.

Homemade Tansy Insect Spray and other uses.

Tansy photo credit here


Dani said...

Cool - will have to see if tansy is available here.. :)

Jada's Gigi said...

does it work for mosquitoes?

Mrs. Mac said...

Jada's Gigi
here's a link on natural homemade mosquito repellants


Sandy said...

Mrs. Mac, Thanks for the advice on the Tansy. This is one, I'm going to have to keep. I love the butterfly picture.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I've grown tansy before. I don't remember why I don't have it. I do know that a friend gave me some fern leaf tansy, that does not get as large, and I'm thinking does not spread as much. After 3 or 4 winters, it died.

I hope your concoction with it works.

Thanks for your nice comment on my Wildflower Wednesday post.

Laurie said...

I grow tansy, but only knew it as an ant repellant. I'm going to have to research it further. Let us know how it works with cabbage worms.