Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oh Deer!

These two thieves were spied around my garden today.  Last week I mindlessly forgot to put back the deer fence after picking green beans with my grandson, Jacob.  I'm sure this pretty pair had their bellies filled with the juicy green leaves.  
Bambi with ever watchful mama nearby

Friday the moose were on patrol on the old logging road that runs through our property ... right behind one of our gardens.  They were too quick to snap their picture.
Mama stretches out for a snooze

Now that summer is winding down, and 'food' is drying up, the forest critters are visiting our yard more often.  I see that my newly planted grapevine will need to be moved or better protected.  It's an expensive venture to garden in the woods.  Without proper backyard fencing, the animals seem to graze here and there.  Our veggie gardens have some protection with fencing immediately around them, which will have to do as we live in a an area heavily populated with wild creatures.  
Mama deer is extremely relaxed with head resting on ground

I'm sure this mama deer and her fawn have a place they bed down in our yard as I've seen soft impressions under a little low growing fir tree.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful, but oh, so destructive!
Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I had a pear tree for 13 years...I would watch those pears all summer, and wait to pick them. The deer almost ALWAYS beat me to it! They were watching the fruit too!

Sandy Livesay said...

Great pictures of the deer. Those little boggers are enjoying your garden. Have you thought about putting a salt lick on the far back end of your property to help control the deer travel routes? This may keep them away from your garden. Just a thought.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

The deer ate me out of green beans this year! I put up the fence too late. It's nice that yours decide to sleep on the soft greenery beneath the shade of your umbrellas! They sure think they are at home. LOL Nice to meet you through my blog (pork steaks)

Mrs. Mac said...

That's a good thought Sandy. The area we live in is a former white tail deer hunting area .. there are 'freeways' all over the place. Some neighbors purposely feed the deer .. which I just don't get?? I'll have to research about the salt lick.

JoyceP said...

Yea, I've noticed the varmints moving closer, too. Lost the bird feeders last night to we think a racoon. I know it wasn't a bear because they really tear up the feeders. Deer got into my raised garden box of beans a couple of days ago and that got me mad because I had a customer for those beans and now I have to tell her I may not have anything for her. Everything is just too dry!