Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mrs. Mac Opens a 'Broth'al ...;)

I have two cookbooks by Jeff Smith:  The Frugal Gourmet and Jeff Smith Cooks American.  Both books offer time honored recipes, many of which I have tweaked to use more whole food products.  Last month I made five quarts of his Basic Brown Soup Stock for the freezer.  Putting it in quart and pint jars to pull out at a moments notice.  It's the good quality stock that  makes excellent French onion soup.  Having it on hand makes cooking at home easier and very frugal.  To save time .. here is a link to the recipe I used.  Basic Brown Soup Stock

Here are the ingredients:  Basic rendering bones (about 5 lbs), carrots, onions, celery

Stocking the freezer assures you of having your own convenience foods on hand.

Broth Is Beautiful  ... read more here about its health benefits ... the entire article is a must read. 

Photos:  top:  beef bones ready to slow roast in the oven, bottom - simmering beef stock

4 comments:

DarcyLee said...

I love homemade stock and make it at least once a month. I just a finished a big pot of homemade chicken broth that is ready for using up. I have some beef bones in my freezer that I will be using for making more stock soon. It's so much better than the store bought stuff. I am so enjoying your posts on getting rid of processed foods because I've been on the same quest.

Troy said...

I'm so glad it was that kind of "Broth-al" I was afraid we were going to have to take up a collection to post bail...

You just really can't beat homemade soup for richness and flavor.

Mr. H. said...

A lot of people have been talking about bone broth of late and I have been meaning to look it up to see just why it is supposed to be so healthy. Thanks for the great article as it answered all of my questions. What an excellent way to get the most use out of your food.

Margie said...

Thanks so much!!! i don't like buying chicken broth, and i use a lot of it, so I think I will make this weekend! For my entertainment... I love being able to cook healthy for my family and friends! It can be just simmering away while I'm going other things!