Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, February 03, 2010


Food challenge: I have $100 to last our family of 4 for the next week. This is an experiment to see how well we can budget our grocery $ and really consider what we are sometimes wasting our money on. Tomorrow (Thursday) is shopping day. Hubby will go with me and together we will decide how to best stretch our dollars to buy enough quality (mostly organic) produce, dairy, and grain items. We will even go to Costco and our local health food store for some goods. Can we do it? Keep in mind I make 90% of our meals from scratch ... and our freezers and pantry are stocked with wholesome foods. Tomorrow I shall list what we purchased and what our strategy is to make it last a whole week. Our goal is to cut our yearly grocery bill in half ... cut out the waste ... eat healthy ... stay tuned.

In the mean time, here are a few links to articles and blogs about food waste:

Wasted Food
U.S Wastes Half Its Food
Science Daily

Have you given much thought about food waste?

3 comments:

Pat said...

It's funny, the older we are, and don't have to worry about money as much...the more concerned I am about making money go farther (further?). When we were young and didn't have two dimes to rub together....I had no sense (or cents!).

Cindy said...

You absolutely can do it. I feed our family of 3 on that and my pantry isn't nearly as well stocked. And keep in mind that one of us is a 15 year old boy who is always hungry!

Troy said...

We do pretty good avoiding waste, our biggest problem is with bread. With our humidity here, it seems like it only takes one day and it starts to mold, we have to use it really fast once it comes out of the freezer.

I always enjoy my visits to your blog, in fact, I have nominated you for an award. You can visit my blog at http://i-refuse-to-recede.blogspot.com/2010/02/award.html to read more about it.

Keep up the good work.

Troy