Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wild Rose Jelly

Years ago a little old lady (probably my age at the time;) lived next door to my grandma.  She had a lovely garden and on one occasion brought over a beautiful jar of Rose-Geranium jelly.  The color was wonderful and I remember the yummy smell/taste of flowers on my toast.  A few days ago I came across a recipe on line for Wild Rose Jelly. We have lots of wild pink roses on our property so I went foraging today for the fragrant pink (prized) petals.  I added some of my red geranium petals as well because they add a lovely hint to the bouquet.  Here's the recipe:

1-1/2 cups tightly packed wild rose petals (you could use fragrant domestic rose petals as long as they have not been sprayed/fed with ANY toxic chemicals.  If you want to add geranium petals, use about 1 cup rose petals and 1/2 cup geranium petals, tightly packed ... (either way .. the jam will be pink)

2 Tablespoons lemon juice (I used fresh and strained it)
3-1/2 cups sugar (evil white sugar works best;)
1 - 3 ounce pouch liquid pectin

Make flower petal juice as follows:  Take the tightly packed flower petals and rinse well in a colander with warm water.  Spread the washed petals on a clean dish towel or paper towels.  Pat dry with a paper towel.  Put petals in a large sauce pan and crush with a potato masher or the bottom of a glass.  Add 2-1/4 cups water and bring to a boil.  Simmer until the flowers lose their color (just a few minutes).  Strain in a fine sieve or cheese cloth.  This yields about 2 cups of petal juice.  You need 1-3/4 cup petal juice to make the jelly.

To make the jelly:  wash and sterilize 4 half-pint jars (or 8 one-half cup jelly jars).  Sterilize the lids and have rings available.   Open pectin pouch and have it standing in a glass ready to use.

Put 1-3/4 cup strained petal juice in a large sauce pan.  Add the lemon juice and sugar (the lemon will immediately brighten up the color).  Stir constantly and bring to a roiling boil on high heat.  Add liquid pectin and return to a roiling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from the heat and skim any foam.  Immediately fill the prepared jars 1/4 inch from top.  Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth.  Seal with the two piece lids.  Boil for five minutes in a water bath; adjust for altitude (see pectin box).  Let sit overnight on counter before moving.  Test seals.  Use within six months to retain the pretty color.

13 comments:

Pat said...

The color is so pretty..it must smell wonderful!
We just don't consume enough jelly around here for me to make any...but I guess it would sure make a nice gift. Nothing says loving like a gift of home made goodies!
ps
put one jar aside so I can taste it when I visit!

Sandy said...

Those are the most beautiful
jars of jelly I've ever seen.
They really look too pretty to
just eat!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely color and I bet the flavor tastes wonderful too. I've never had the pleasure of tasting something so delightful sounding.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Mrs. Mac said...

Pat ... I just saw your comment about setting aside one jar ... that I will do .. the others are for gifts or trades:)

Konnie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have never had wild rose jelly. You have a very cool blog. I also have a special needs child and it looks like we live in the same part of the world. Glad to have found your blog.
Konnie

Roasted Garlicious said...

what a delicate looking jelly!!! i love the colour!! i have quite a few wild roses but i doubt enough for a batch of jelly...i keep mowing around the patches in the hopes that they expand, the scent of wild roses is wonderful!! and one day i hope to have enough rosehips for jelly!

donna said...

oh they look so pretty....what a nice idea for gifts...

Carla said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Laurie said...

Beautiful jelly! I have been encouraging my wild roses, but doubt I'd have enough for a recipe yet. Some day! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

meemsnyc said...

What an awesome jelly recipe!

Jim said...

Hey, M&M, these really are for eating, huh?

Are the wild roses edible also? They were my favorite flower back in Nebraska. And they actually did grow wild.

I tried to rustle and transplant one to here in Texas a few years ago. I did rustle the rose fine with no problem. But it wouldn't grow here.
..
..

Marie said...

That is so beautiful, hoping to make some this week with our wild pink roses. :)

N kelly said...

A "hippie" friend of my mother's used to make this when I was a kid and I have very fond memories of it. Our house is surrounded by wild rose bushes and when we bought it I said I was going to find a recipe and make it myself. 10 years and 2 kids later I am finally getting around to it. Thanks for posting this :)