Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Finally ... Some Validation

and fine tuning.

Being a homemaker is finally in vogue:)  I've known the importance of tending, mending, rearing/teaching children, making do with what's on hand for the past 28 years .. that's when I said good-bye to my day job in an accounting office and put on my apron full time.  Hubby and I decided to live on one income .. where ever that would take us.  Never thinking .. 'someday I'll return to an outside job' .. just plugging along with so much work at home and never having the desire or opportunity to go back to a 9-5 job.  Now days I've discovered the 'back to basics' that my grand and great grand parents knew.  Traditions and practices that went by the wayside for more modern conveniences that were required/demanded when society wanted to take the 'easy' road ... you know the one .. working to make money so you can purchase things that are made by other people.  We exchanged knowledge and know-how for pay and ready made things.  How can society go forward if we lose such valuable skills?  Maybe we really need to go backwards and reclaim some of the old ways. 

Here are two books that I purchased this past year that have that old time flare and are loaded with time honored remedies and building methods that attempt to restore the lost arts of gardening and homesteading.  The first book was purchased used through Amazon for under $10 (including shipping) .. and the second at a garage sale for fifty cents and is available on Amazon.

Old Time Gardening Wisdom ... by Jerry Baker, is about "Lessons learned from (his grandmother's) kitchen cupboard, medicine cabinet, and garden shed!"  This is a good go to reference to help you become a wise gardener .. relying on simple remedies and practices relating to veggies, fruit/nut trees, insects, plant diseases, homeopathic herbs, etc. 

Back To Basics ... by Reader's Digest .. "How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills"  This book is full of EVERYTHING having to do with life skills ... it's easy to read and can be a springboard for a gazillion topics.  Check the link to view used copies and a great book review.

Here is what the Old Time Gardening Wisdom book says to use to control snails/slugs:  Hand picking, beer, grape juice, cider vinegar, Diatomaceous earth, aluminum foil, ashes.  I've heard to bury an open and partially filled beer bottle having the opening at ground level to attract the slugs.  We use pulverized egg shells (or Diatomaceous earth) sprinkled in a heavy circle around our lettuce plants with good success.  I'm thinking of mixing a soapy/peppery spray to take care of the spittle bugs on my strawberry plants this afternoon.  Will post the recipe later. 

6 comments:

Pat said...

Jerry Baker is an old Detroit boy, I used to liten to him on TV many years ago, he shared a lot of good tips.
Do you think the world is coming full circle to where life was simpler, or is it still just a handful of people? We are slow to give up what we feel is convenient, when actually we are doing harm.
Give me the good 'ol days when Moms wanted to and were able to stay home...that was womens lib!

Mama Rachael said...

I enjoy reading and putting these things into practice. I got "The country encyclopedia" last year as a gift and have enjoyed it. Also "home comforts", which is about "the art and science of home keeping". then add on "tightwad gazette", which I got from my Mom. I have at least a shelf-full of books I reference regularly.

Of course, I love to just read!

MAYBELLINE said...

Say, don't forget to pump up the use of the local public libraries. That "free" source of information is in dire need of the public coming in and using the resources.

MAYBELLINE said...

Planting onions near strawberries help repel pests. I haven't noticed the berries tasting like onions. Earlier this spring I used pyrethrum on my strawberries thinking ants were the problem.

Roasted Garlicious said...

i keep hoping that more people will stop and 'smell the roses', go backwards a bit and reconnect with mommy earth, grow gardens and raise chickens... in my world thats what it's like but then i drive into town where one daughter lives and see the 'perfect' lawns and flowerbeds, nary a veggie to be seen and very few stay-at-home moms.. i've been critized for being one of those moms, but i'll never regret it, ever... not only did my teens need me, so did the teens of other parents, our house was always full of kids, cookies in the oven and lots of 'luvin'... now they are older with children and they still call me 'mom #2' and thank me for being there...

Moonwaves said...

You don't need to use a whole bootle of beer. A small saucer or bowl filled up with beer is enough and much better for the consequent disposal of the slugs - don't fancy having to try to get slugs out of a bottle (bonus to this method is of course that you get to finish the beer :-) )