Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, August 04, 2006


End of week update on This New House: Have we gotten any closer to starting? Perhaps a little. The county should have the permit ready today (I hope) ... Yesterday the builder gave me a call and asked if I could meet him at a warehouse sale not far from here. There was a company that had gone out of business and the property owner needed to clear out the warehouse ... There were some beautiful hemlock unfinished wooden front doors, stair rail parts and even a set of beautiful (to be stained) interior french doors that we picked up for about 1/2 off wholesale. The stair rail parts were 25 cents a piece and were the style I had in mind ... so I picked up what I needed for $8. Both front and french doors for $275. I just love to find good quality stuff at a bargain price. The front door even has some leaded glass panels at the top. (Peeking through the windows is the frenchdoor.)

1 comment:

Pat said...

I'd say you got some bargains..WOW! I love that front door. Just enough glass to make it decorative without giving up privacy. Beautiful!