Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, September 10, 2008





Taking Stock: The basement's storage pantry is filling up with my home canning goods. While I must admit, canning foods seemed a mystery to me, it's really not that hard to do ... just a bit time consuming. but come winter and early spring, we will have a feast from this summer's treats.

My kitchen 'laboratory' has produced:

  • green beans
  • pickled dilly beans
  • sweet zucchini relish
  • bread and butter zucchini pickles
  • spicy red salsa

6 comments:

Pat said...

A beautiful sight to see!
You must have had a large garden, my few plants would never produced so many can goods. We've been eating our green beans as they've ripened! When winter comes you'll have to air flight your fresh canned goods to me in Michigan!

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
you're so clever! I got flash backs to my childhood seeing all these glass jars filled with the harvest of your garden.
I must bring my lap top home to my Mom and show her the beauty of your work.
How industrious and persistent you must be.
I still remember how tricky it was back then sterilizing the glasses and keeping the lock airtight.
Glasses being so hot, one could barely touch them. The good smell from the stove and the kitchen sink.
Maybe I'll try some,-next year.
Give my best to your lucky thre boys.
From Felisol

Jada's Gigi said...

These look lovely! I love home canned produce! Haven't done any myself in years but my mom brought home green beans, plum and apple jelly and dill pickels from my aunt's this summer..yumm! Your fire pit looks wonderful! Its getting time to use it now isn't it?

thisgoodhearth said...

What a sight to behold!! You are a very industrious mom!

Rhonda Jean said...

Fabulous! They look delicious. Well done, Mrs Mac. I wish you well on your trips to the thrift store. I hope you find what you need there.

Jan Hatchett said...

Hi!
This is my first visit to your blog and I love the beautiful jars of food for your family. Doesn't it feel great to see the fruits of your efforts at the end of a long day canning?

Plus, it rocks to get a great bargain!

Jan
www.anotherhatchettjob.blogspot.com