Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, July 10, 2009


Rhubarb Pie:

You need four cups of fruit. This can be made with all rhubarb ... or if you don't have four cups, mix in enough fresh or frozen strawberries to make the total fruit equal four cups. I used three cups rhubarb and one cup strawberries for my pie.

4 C diced rhubarb (leave on the skin ... stalks only as leaves are poisonous)
1-1/4 to 2 cups sugar
1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
1 T. butter

Mix the above (except for butter) ingredients in a large bowl and let sit for at least fifteen minutes (to get the juices flowing)

Make your pie crust(s). I never use a bottom crust (who needs the extra calories)! Put the fruit into a pie pan. Cut up the butter and place the small pieces over the filling. Cover with a top crust. Turn the crust edges under a bit and press against the top edge of the pan. Cut a few slits in the top and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar. Bake in a preheated 450 oven for ten minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 F and bake for 35-40 minutes. I always place a cookie sheet under the pie pan when baking to catch any drippings.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Hi Mrs. Mac!

I found you through Subsistence Pattern.

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I'll be back to visit and read more.

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Kris