Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quick and Easy Huckleberry Syrup

At least once a week I make French toast or waffles for breakfast.  Trying to find better alternatives to store bought 'syrup' .. and not being able to always afford real maple syrup, through a little trial period the past two weeks, I've come up with a winner topping.  Many homemade syrup recipes call for a 1:2 ratio of water to sugar.  By adding just a bit of organic corn starch, you can significantly reduce the added sugar.

Easy Huckleberry Syrup

scant 1/3 cup organic raw sugar
1 tablespoon sucanat (unprocessed sugar .. dark brown from retained molassas)
1 cup cold water
1-1/2 teaspoon organic corn starch
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon good vanilla
1-2 tablespoons huckleberries (raspberries, or blueberries)

huckleberry syrup

homemade French (challah) bread toast with huckleberry syrup
In a small saucepan add the sugars, water, salt and cornstarch; stir well until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.  Bring to a slow boil over medium heat for about a minute or so until the syrup thickens.  Add the butter, vanilla and huckleberries and cook for another minute.  Makes 4-6 servings .. store any leftover syrup in the fridge and use within a few days.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

What time is breakfast??? YUMMY!!

meemsnyc said...

Real maple syrup can definitely be expensive! Making your own syrup is a great idea! I did a batch of concord grape syrup that is delicious over pancakes / french toast.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I'm trying to remember what kind of syrup I made a long time ago. Maybe it was blueberry. This one sounds good. I don't think we have huckleberries around here, though.

I love your header photo!

LynnS said...

I am loving your recipe and will make it for some weekend pancakes! I'll have to use blueberries, though.

Your new blog banner is fantastic. I see that woodburning stove..... :-)

Wendy said...

oh boy does that look delicious!