Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just Desserts

English Shortbread .. photo by Mrs. Mac

Chocolate mousse for Valentines Day ... photo by Mrs. Mac
Once a week I bake a treat for dessert.  Hubby has a sweet tooth and I'd rather give him a home made treat than for him to make a run to the store for a package of junk.  I choose the one meal that is most special and get creative in the kitchen.   It's not that hard to whip up a goody when the pantry and freezer are well stocked.  I keep frozen summer fruit for pies, cooked pumpkin for breads, oats and raisins for cookies, and good solid unsweetened chocolate bars for brownies and mousse.   Non homogenized milk gives just enough cream to make a whipped cream topping.  Some weeks, dessert is as simple as making a cup of steaming hot cocoa from scratch.   Making your own dessert allows you to control the quality of ingredients, cut back on sugar, and make smaller portions than the recipe calls for.   Life is too short to not eat a little dessert now and then (at least that's what my 'sweet tooth' Hubby says).

6 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Delicious. I would like to eat them! It looks so special.

Rebecca said...

So true - making your own lets you control the quality (and quantity) of ingredients!

The shortbread hearts are beautiful! I'm sure they were delicious, too.

Sandy Livesay said...

Okay, now you have made me hungry for a cookie!!! Looks fabulous! I agree, better to have homemade desserts and/or meals then prepackaged stuff. Enjoy!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Looks yummy. I'm with you, make just about everything from scratch, if I haven't done any baking we go without. We had shortbread hearts for Valentines day too.
Best wishes Bridget

Ruth Trowbridge said...

A luxurious pantry for sure - have you used stevia yet? peace

Felisol said...

It's so good looking.
I'm glad I am not such a good cook. I'd become round as a bun. I do not have your strong will power....