Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Making Potpourri

Now that summer has arrived there should be some flowers blooming in your garden.  A good way to extend their beauty through the dark days of winter and early spring is to dry them.  There are many methods.  You can pick blooms that are not quite fully opened and tie string around the stems .. then hang upside down from the rafters in a warm (dry) garden shed or garage.  Or you can snip the flowers from their stems and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and put into a 100 to 180F oven for a few hours.  Be sure to prop the door open slightly to allow moisture to escape and air to circulate.

 I use the drying setting of my convection oven set at 120F with the door propped slightly. Once dry from the oven heat, leave the flowers on the tray overnight on the counter to make sure the blossoms are completely dry.   Store the dried flowers in a paper bag or box.  When you want to make potpourri, simple take a few cups of flowers and sprinkle on a little essential oil, mixing well with your hands.  Once the oils have been added, store the potpourri in a plastic zip lock bag or container with a lid.  Small amounts of potpourri can be placed in little dishes, teacups, saucers and left out in different rooms of your home for a fresh floral scent ... even in the winter. 

How to dry flowers in the oven.
How to dry flowers by hanging

6 comments:

Felisol said...

Thank you very much, Mrs. mac. I checked out the "how to dry flowers link" too. Very interesting and not particular complicated. I'll definitely give it a go.

Sue said...

I think mid winter we can all use a little reminder of summer.
Have a wonderful weekend, Mrs. Mac!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed reading about how you dry flowers, and looking at your lovely photos. I am one who dries flowers in the house by tying the stems with embroidery floss, and hanging them upside down. My lungs can't handle scents, so I don't do the potpourri.

I missed the right times to cut the lavender this year, but with deadheading, maybe I can get the next flush.

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog.

Lynda said...

Great post...I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! The roses, lavender, stock, and dianthus are just waiting for me.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

Kev Alviti said...

My mother used to have a dried flower shop and so we used to grow, dry and make things for it. I can still remember as a child collecting cherry blossom to dry for potpourri now. Not a very manly operation but a fond memory! Love the blog