Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Cold ~ of Yore

 So last night I mulled around on Face Book with friends about catching cold from temperature changes .. wet hair .. etc.  The scientific community tells us we cannot catch a cold in such a manner .. but I've come down sick on different occasions from exposure to sudden temperature changes .. perhaps it was the impetus to push my immune system over the edge .. who knows.  Moist salt air is supposed to also be good for asthma .. and, yet, I've gotten bronchitis from spending a breezy day at the beach. Perhaps it was the breeze with a bit of fine particulate mixed in that ruined my week and sent me to the emergency room for a breathing treatment.  I'm certain this type of incident would spark an old wives tale.  Don't play at the beach with a dusty onshore breeze.   Perhaps there is a bit of truth to the miasma theory about disease from bad air. 
The works of Messrs Fairbairn and Sons, Manchester, 1860

With that in mind, let's just say that I don't go to bed with wet hair .. nor do I entreat sudden temperature changes and allow myself to get chilled, or visit the beach with hazy air. Have I prevented an illness?  I hope so.

How susceptible are you to weather changes and illness?

Next time we will explore the benefits of drinking pickle juice :)  (LOL)





1 comment:

Sandy Livesay said...

Mrs. Mac,

I notice a difference traveling from Oklahoma to New Mexico. I feel so much better out west than in Oklahoma. I believe the humidity has a lot to do with that.