“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Thursday, October 16, 2008


Can, can: No not the dance ;) Being a person of frugal ways, I'm always on the lookout at the local thrift stores for canning equipment. My latest quest has been to find a large pot with a lift out basket that I can cook a huge amount of fresh green beans in all at once. This past summer when putting up the beans, I really could have used such an extra pot. It's necessary to have everything in order before you begin the process. Having to cook two batches of beans in a not big enough pot is a waste of time and heating fuel. When I shop at the second hand stores, I usually can zero in on exactly what I'm looking for and be in and out of the shops in a flash. Tuesday was a good find day. Here is the pot I purchased, including the basket, for $2.00. This could be some type of a fry basket/pan that has barely been used. It should work fine. Next quest, a kitchen scale for weighing produce.

2 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
I like your way of thinking. You actually have a plan for what you buy. Me,- I have four kitchen weights. Three for display and one brand new, though old looking for use.
I must be more practical. Kitchen cupboards are impractical small for storage of all my "might come in handy tools".
I once bought a steel basket for drying herbs. That is still in use, hanging on the wall.
From Felisol

Deb said...

You and I would fight over great thrift store bargains if we ever went shopping together!