Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, October 16, 2008


Can, can: No not the dance ;) Being a person of frugal ways, I'm always on the lookout at the local thrift stores for canning equipment. My latest quest has been to find a large pot with a lift out basket that I can cook a huge amount of fresh green beans in all at once. This past summer when putting up the beans, I really could have used such an extra pot. It's necessary to have everything in order before you begin the process. Having to cook two batches of beans in a not big enough pot is a waste of time and heating fuel. When I shop at the second hand stores, I usually can zero in on exactly what I'm looking for and be in and out of the shops in a flash. Tuesday was a good find day. Here is the pot I purchased, including the basket, for $2.00. This could be some type of a fry basket/pan that has barely been used. It should work fine. Next quest, a kitchen scale for weighing produce.

2 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
I like your way of thinking. You actually have a plan for what you buy. Me,- I have four kitchen weights. Three for display and one brand new, though old looking for use.
I must be more practical. Kitchen cupboards are impractical small for storage of all my "might come in handy tools".
I once bought a steel basket for drying herbs. That is still in use, hanging on the wall.
From Felisol

Deb said...

You and I would fight over great thrift store bargains if we ever went shopping together!