Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Just because winter is approaching, you can still be an 'active' gardener. Well, perhaps not in the great outdoors, but how about in your minds eye as you envision what next year will hold in store for your garden plans. I placed a link in the sidebar to the Original Farmer's Almanac. This is a great on-line website that is free to use. You can easily become a registered user and customize some of the weather data for your specific zip code. Go ahead and check it out. Gardening that starts out small and grows a bit each year is a sure bet for success. I've already begun to fine tune what I'd like to plant for next year. Things such as winter squash, and some of the root vegetables that can take a bit of frost: parsnips, turnips ... even rutabagas. I'm even planning on perhaps a cold frame to extend the growing season for lettuce. The thought of buying a grow light has even crossed my mind. Lettuce is one of the prides of the garden and to go all winter relying on store bought ... well, let's just say I think I'll pass on salads for a while. Being spoiled with a bumper crop this year has ruined imported greens for sure! How easy would it be to have a small batch growing under a grow light ... or in a cold frame. This is something worth looking into. But, I'll take it slow. I don't like to buy equipment that might just sit idle after the novelty wears off.

2 comments:

Felisol said...

Mrs. Mac,
you are a pearl among women. Always fulfill the plans you are setting up.
When I read, I'm getting inspired... to do at least something. I've bought 50 tulip and daffodil bulbs.
If the rain is not too heavy, I'll get out and plant them. I so love the early flowers..and the late ones. They in each ends ectend the seasoon.
Hubby has asked if I might want a simple greenhouse, but I don't know. It might become just one of those novelties.
Meanwhile I'll follow your lettuce plan and just see if it works.
Also got to but some soil and natural fertilizer to encourage and protect the plants during winter season.
And I will enjoy your victories.
From Felisol

Pat said...

I agree, the lettuce straight from the garden was wonderful this year! I probably won't attempt any winter gardening, then as time passes I will wish I had, just too busy this year, something has to be put on hold!