Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Monday, February 03, 2014

Fine Tuning The 'Machine'

After detoxing, restoring my health, eating nutritionally sound meals .. it's not difficult to self diagnose those little twinges that creep up on occasion.  For example, when my neck starts making creaking sounds, I need to drink more bone broth.  If my feet start to ache and/or I don't sleep peacefully I've usually run out of my cod liver oil.  When my left index finger aches at the first knuckle and/or my knees ache .. I've consumed too much sugar.

Cultured Veggies
To boost immunity I give my family cultured foods daily including kefir, buttermilk, pickles and sauerkraut. 

When my youngest son consumes too many starches he breaks out in a rash on his neck and makes odd snorting sounds in his nose .. often accompanied by a headache.

Do you notice how certain foods affect your mood or health?  Get to know how to fine tune your 'machine.'  Eliminate or drastically reduce the offenders.  When I need to detox, I sip milkweed or stinging nettle tea in the evening several times a week, cut out sugar and starches.  If you wish to consume detox teas, please read up on side effects and consult your doctor if  you have certain health conditions.
Grain Free Meal ~ Japanese vegetable soup, salad, zucchini 'cakes', applesauce 

Maybe we're just WEIRD ..... say it aint so! ;)






3 comments:

Stephen said...

You've convinced me...taking notes.

Sandy Livesay said...

Mrs. Mac,

"It aint so".

You're taking care of your and your families health and well being.
I say continue, because it's working!!!

Kathryn said...

I don't think i've got it as fine-tuned as you. I do notice some things more than others.

Since we've been eating more healthily, neither Duane or i use sunglasses. We don't need them - if the sun is directly in our eyes the sun visor works. (Duane used to wear sunglasses 90% of the time driving.) I noticed @ Christmas 2012 when we were consuming more things with (organic) sugar, our eyes didn't adapt as well. Stopped sugar, back to normal.

One of the few things i've been able to really pin-point.

Blessings to you and your family, Mrs. Mac. :)