Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, February 07, 2014

Grain Free Meals ...

... can be filling.

We've been cutting out grains of late.  My thoughts are that they contribute to poor health and 'feed' the cravings within.  Our 'modern' society is in a flux.  We have obesity and poor health running rampant and seem to be fixated with food 24/7.  We're the most overfed and undernourished generation EVER! 
spaghetti squash with meat sauce and tossed salad


I'm not saying we won't eat a piece of bread now and then, but I've found that by cutting it drastically from my diet .. I'm less hungry and don't walk around looking for my next snack.  Nathan's not craving and constantly asking for the three P's ~ pizza, pasta and potatoes.

grass fed beef burgers, cauliflower with cheese, tossed salad and beef stock
Included with our diet are 'snacks' of cultured veggies, buttermilk and kefir.  Getting creative . . . comes naturally with a little practice. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really do feel so much better since I cut out grains. That spaghetti squash with meat sauce looks delicious!-Kim

Kathryn said...

I've been on and off gluten free for many years now. I have less headaches, pain, skin problems, no constipation, and on and on. I still crave it, however!

Duane went gluten free for Lent 2 years ago after listening to Wheat Belly (while on our 2 hour drive to OC). He felt so much better that he decided to continue, tho we have the occasional something that contains it.

I bought some gluten-free bread for him for stuffing during the holidays and we had the rest for toast. We both agreed it was addictive and we could eat an entire (small) loaf in one sitting!

He still eats corn products (mostly organic corn chips) and i do on occasion, but over all we have found it best to just be grain free. I think the book Grain Brain will be next on my purchase list.

Thank you for sharing this reminder of good meals without grains.

Mrs. Mac said...

Kathryn, Are you eating fermented foods? These have really, really helped squash my cravings for grains and sweets.