Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, December 11, 2008



Waiting for the first snow to fly.

This Saturday, we're supposed to be in for the first big snow storm of the season followed by frigid temps at or below zero degrees by early next week. We have taken advantage of the extended mild temps and hopefully have winterized the homestead. Gutters have been once again cleaned (third time this autumn) and outside Christmas decorations are in place. My new snow blower is gassed up and the four wheel snow plow is ready for business. There are snow shovels lined up in the garage for many hands to make the load lighter. Shoe "chains" are standing by and snow shoes purchased. There is nothing like being prepared ahead of time. I'm so glad Mr. Mac will be home to share the workload :)

5 comments:

Felisol said...

Dear Mrs. Mac,
were you by any chance a scout in your youth.
Their slogan is "Always prepared".
That must be you in a nutshell.

I remember when we stood lined up in front of our mighty troop leader as the day was done.
Before saluting the flag she commanded:"Scouts be prepared!"
Our unison answer;" Always prepared".

Funny how those little episodes pop up meeting the right person.
I think you'll survive any snowstorm, Mrs. Mac, and so will yours.
From Felisol

Mrs. Mac said...

Ah, Felisol, you a former scout recognize my youthful loyalty with the Girl Scouts. I joined as a Brownie and left as a Cadet (7th grade) ... it was not too fashionable to be a GS in high school ;) thus my departure ... unless, of course, you were a boy and working towards becoming an Eagle Scout. There's also a bit of pioneer spirit in my bones.

Hugs,

Pear tree cottage! said...

O! dear friend I hear the snow is think and falling fast around you now so keep warm and safe and know that I sit here in shorts and looking for a nice cool drink to quench the thirst on a hot summers day in Australia..........just having some fun!! I truly do hope you are keeping warm and safe and think about you often dear blogger friend.

happy holidays to you and your family. Lee-ann

Connie said...

Hi...just chanced upon your blog and enjoyed the browse. I am in Idaho, as well. Is there enough snow for you yet? :-)

Maggie Ann said...

Your snow shoes fascinate me...I've always thought that would be so much fun. Guess I'll have to stick with the WII for my fun...lol.