Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Saturday, February 21, 2009


When I confessed about being a spend thrift yesterday, I wasn't referring to extravagant living. Just wasteful living. A mindset of I can afford to not bother with reusing and retooling (mostly in the food/household supplies area) Generally I don't buy just to buy. My wardrobe closet is not bulging at the seams, nor do I spend for all new items. Thrift and vintage stores plus garage sales have been my source to decorate and outfit my home. A few years ago we bought 'new' bedroom furniture. After looking at what was in the stores I wasn't impressed, especially with the price tags. The solution was to buy a nice wrought iron head/foot board and bargain hunt for dressers and night stands at thrift stores which we then painted off white and roughed up the finish with sandpaper, exposing little sections of 'worn' wood. The room came out great without spending too much money. The only other new item was a chase lounge purchased with one of George Bush's tax rebates to help 'stimulate' the economy. Bed linens and drapes were bargain shopped on line at Overstock.com and Country Curtains. Most accessories are items we had in storage ... a wall clock and mirror were bargains at Target and Walmart. The brass metal bed table lamps are bargain Lennox lamps from TJ Maxx. I was brave and evenutally hand painted the solid yellow brass with metallic paint in a oil rubbed bronze finish. This most likely devalued the lamps ... but I like them all the better. Existing yellow brass dresser pulls were given the same paint treatment.

2 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

What a delightful wrought iron bed! You've created a beautiful room..I love putting things together myself just as you did. And chaise loungers are the ultimate in luxury..everybody needs a little something special. I think they are as appealing to the eye as to the 'back'...giggle.

Deb said...

cozy, cozy and cozier! I love this room!