Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

There are a few inside household 'chores' that are required several times a year in a thrifty home. One that is on my 'to do' list is emptying my kitchen's pantry closet; sorting, tossing out, and reorganizing food staples. Cleaning toast crumbs from the toaster ... and the ones that fall through the white wire shelving and land on the floor. Checking for expiration dates, any sign of pests in the opened goods, and rotating canned goods having oldest near the front of the shelf. This plan is in the 'brain .. wait and see .. when the mood strikes ... mode' for now. But at least if I commit it to a blog post, the thought will nag at me until it's completed ... please hold me accountable and ask in about a week or two if I've completed this task :)

Our supply of frozen and canned summer veggies is dwindling. Next year it will be necessary to better judge how much to store away for winter. And, perhaps, I'll try my hand at some garden row covers to protect autumn plants to extend the growing season. My experiment of growing lettuce in the basement with a grow light is still in progress. Some of the plants now have four leaves and look sturdy. We're down to our last jar of basil pesto ;(

3 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Nearly done ... a good thing to check off the to do list for sure.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Atta Girl! I can't tell you how many times I've said I was going to do something and one thing or the other came up and time goes by.

I started working on my tiny crafting/office space this morning. Making it more organized.

Your post has inspired me to do more cleaning and organizing for the new year.

Have a wonderful 2010 Mrs. Mac.

FlowerLady

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I have 2 weeks off of work for the holidays because I am a special education paraeducator at a high school. I always have projects I hope to get done. This time, I ended up helping my 27 year old daughter find an apartment where she doesn't have to pay a gas bill, and now, I'm helping her move. My husband, who also works at a school and I have been taking things over and he has been putting shelf paper on every storage surface while I put things away and run all the dishes and pans through the dishwasher. Oh, and I am doing the sorting of the food and tossing the post-dated stuff.

Tomorrow, I plan to figure out which room in my house I want to try to get the clutter out of. I am glad to see you are nearly done with your organization.