Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Saturday, October 02, 2010

A New Spice

... has been added to my cabinet;  ground chipolte peppers.  If you like chili powder, try to find some made from smoked chipolte peppers.  It adds another dimension to food without all of the added chemicals typically found in the canned peppers.  Our local health food store carries it in their organic bulk spice section.  It makes taco night more festive by adding it to the cooked meat and the refried beans.  It would be a good addition to homemade chili.  Give it a try if you enjoy spice.

5 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Yum, sounds like a great addition.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

i smoke them fresh and store them in oil, do you use cumin? you are so right about how wonderful it is to have unique natural flavors to make dishes incredible - peace

Rebecca said...

It SOUNDS like a spice I'd like! Thanks for the tip.

Sandy said...

I have to agree with Rebecca. I think I
would like it too. I'll check our health
food store.

Mama Rachael said...

We love chipolte peppers and finding them ground was like finding heaven for hubby. It can be added to just about anything that more spice is desired for. Unfortunately, only one store carries its (and its not my regular store), so I buy a big bag each time and store it in the freezer.