Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stuck In La Nina

We are in a awful weather pattern .. every other day brings rain or snow showers .. it's been like this for several months including ten degrees below normal temperatures.  Our last 60 degree day was in November.  There is a slim chance that Easter Saturday will be hovering around 60 .. but then we slide back into the cooler wet weather pattern.  Makes for little news to blog about.  Just ho-hum going on here.  I am still recovering from the flu (which I imagine was the swine or similar variety).  Although no loner contagious .. and I did visit the doctor .. my strength has not completely returned.

Hubby and I have one last raised bed to set in place and fill with garden soil.  I hope to get the potatoes planted in the next day or so. What's the weather like in your neighborhood?

9 comments:

Roasted Garlicious said...

abysmal!! as of today, almost record cold for April... rain, cold, wind, snow, hail... and an occasional sunny day which i overwork in the garden trying to fit all the work in a short span... get well soon Mrs. Mac!!! time for some nettle or dandelion green tea to bring back some energy!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick Mrs. Mac. Wish I could send you some of our heat, and you could send us some of your rain, which we really need.

Have a wonderful Easter ~ FlowerLady

Mr. H. said...

Whatever you do, don't look outside this morning...think we got enough snow.:) So sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly of late and hope you make a full recovery soon. I don't think either of us will be planting potatoes today. Mine are starting to sprout but I am holding off as long as possible this year due to the cold. I hope to get them in the ground this next week if it warms up a bit.

Anonymous said...

I hope your weather gets better soon. Our weather in Southern California is almost always good. Next weeks forecast is the 70s and 80s most of the week.

God bless you and have a great Easter :-)

~Ron
*******

Geno said...

Yes, the weather has been frustrating! We planted some blueberry bushes two days ago, but that is it for us so far. I am looking forward to the warmish weekend and hope it holds out. Hope you get better soon. Oh yea, I love your rock retaining wall. We did something similar before we moved to Idaho and we would like to do another someday.

Sandy said...

Hope you're feeling stronger every day now.
Sorry about your sickness. Wishing you and
your family a most blessed Easter weekend.
Love,
Sandy

The Professor's Wife said...

Hope you get well soon! Sorry that you have been sick for so long - this has been a rough year for viruses!
My hubby just built me a raised bed as well - trying to get good enough dirt to fill it as our dirt is very poor!

Crown of Beauty said...

This is my first time on this blog, and I think I will be visiting it more often. Hoping your weather improves so you can go ahead with planting your potatoes. I love the way you cultivate your soil and plant your crops. I live in the city and only have a house and a little garden around it - not a huge tract of land to plant crops on.

Praying you are better by now.

Love to you
Lidj

Linda said...

Hope you are feeling much better now. It is warm and suuny here in England which is unseasonal for this time of year.
Keeping you in prayer.
Blessings