Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, May 06, 2011

2011 Square Foot Garden Planting

This is just a reference list for my square foot garden for 2011; my first attempt at this type of gardening.  I found an easy way to mark the garden using ground eggshells.  Just use a pointed stick as you measure your planting grid area and apply a thin line of eggshells as a planting guide.  The grounds last a few days and add calcium into the soil.  This is less work than making a wooden grid.  I will be adding my planting schedule and pictures later.  We have above freezing night time temps this week and the tomatoes, peppers and other plants are hardening off in the shelter of the front porch.  What's up in your garden this week?

Update (May 20, 2011)

To date garden planting

April 24 - broccoli, wala-wala onions, radish, replanted garlic planted last fall, red and Yukon gold potatoes, new asparagus bed
May 3   - bulb onions, sugar snap peas
May 12 - broccoli, bulb onions, celery, kale, parsley, petunias, tomatoes
May 18 - pepper plants (started from seed), eggplant, rosemary, carrots, cabbage plants, yellow crookneck squash, rosemary, broccoli, lettuce, chard, spinach, cilantro, ever-bearing strawberries, butternut squash (plants) cucumbers (plants), nasturtium
May 27 - corn, pumpkins (orange & white), replanted horseradish to a better location, green beans, zucchini, peas, lettuce plants started from seed, Russian kale plants (from seed), sweet peas, broccoli plants (grown  from seed), Danish ball head cabbage plants (grown from seed)
May 29 - cauliflower plants (given to me by a friend), red sweet pepper plant

5 comments:

Dani said...

Mrs Mac - if you save the rest of your egg shells they make brilliant snail / slug repellents too :-)

We're about to have colder nights - just as yours are becoming a thing of the past LOL

It really does take all of us to make the world go round...

The Professor's Wife said...

Brilliant idea about the egg shells!

Felisol said...

Clever idea, marking the ground with eggshells.
I'll adopt that as soon as possible. Guess I have some in my compost bin.
My gardening is otherwise late. I'll have to buy small plants if my garden is going to develop into anything at all.

Laurie said...

Good idea with the eggshells. We've planted out our tomatoes, bought a couple each sweet pepper & eggplants, as mine didn't do well. We've got potatoes, cucumbers, several types of summer & winter squash, lima & green beans, crowder peas, green peas, carrots & beets, & calendula. Also bought sweet potato slips to go with the few we started. Okra, corn, lettuce & melons are in the ground, but not up yet. Wishing you warmer temps.

DivaGardener said...

I just love your blog! Great to see another farmer/gardener out there that loves the Lord and puts her family first!

And since you asked about my garden...why don't you come on over to my blog and see what I've got going on!

Garden hugs to you! Be blessed.