Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Apple Pancakes

I just love to make quick and hearty breakfasts for my son to give him a good start on a cold day.  These apple pancakes do not contain any flour.  Freshly grated organic apples, eggs and spices (cinnamon and cloves).  They take less than 15 minutes from start to finish .. use only one bowl and are a great alternative to traditional pancakes made with grains.


Ingredients:
Two apples, washed, quartered, cored, shredded and squeeze out the juice (I left the peel on .. but would remove if your apples are not organic)
Three eggs
dash of cinnamon
dash of cloves
cooking fat (today I used a little bacon grease)

Place shredded apples in a bowl.  Add the cracked eggs and spices.  Mix well with a fork.  Spoon in rounds into hot greased skillet.  Cook until a little browned on one side .. flip and cook the other side.

Serve with a small splash of real maple syrup or a drizzle of honey.  For a treat, I added a drop of On Guard (food grade) essential oil (from doTERRA) to the warm syrup.  This oil has immune boosting properties AND gives a hint of spicy orange flavor.

2 comments:

Sandy Livesay said...

Mrs. Mac,

Hey there! It's been a while.
These pancakes look delicious. I bet your son just totally enjoys these for breakfast.

Sandy said...

These really do look good...another of your recipes I will have to try. With both of us wanting our families to eat less grains, I will be paying attention more to what's cooking in your kitchen! :)
I never did find that link in my FB book section you were talking about.