Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Slimmer Pickings

Twenty months ago I joined Weight Watchers (WW) with a friend.  I had wanted to join for a long time but was reluctant and tried not to focus on the extra baggage gained in my 40s and 50s.  A year ago June I met my goal weight (actually ten pounds below goal) and have kept off 40 pounds going from a  size 12 to a size 6 (USA size).  Believe me .. this is a 'feel good' size and in my younger days would probably have been about a size 9 back in the 70s.  The fashion industry has padded the egos of American women by adjusting the bigger sizes down a notch or two in number only.

To aid in the slimming process AND develop strength during/after the weight loss I began exercising to the PBS show Classical Stretch; doing the 22 minute routine five days a week.  This is a gentle workout to help with balance, toning, and aging. 

Today is weigh in day for July to keep my free 'lifetime' membership with WW.    Free WW and free exercise show ... both good things! 
Mr. & Mrs. Mac

Guide to keeping weight off:

  • Use a smaller size plate
  • Don't take seconds
  • Eliminate sugary drinks
  • Limit snacks
  • Eat more vegetables & fruit
  • Limit starchy foods
I have not tracked my food through the WW app on my phone for two months; will probably be up two pounds so will be back to tracking this coming week.  

Feeling better in my 60s ~ priceless!












3 comments:

Laurie said...

I used WW principles to lose 12 lbs last year... which makes a big difference in an under 5' body. Though I still keep them in mind, this year I'm mostly keeping it off with increased exercise. I'm going to see if I can check out the PBS program.

Anonymous said...

Success! Your look terrific! Lovely dress. And I know, how they changed the size numbers since the 70's. Do they really think we are that dumb? It's kind of like we don't notice that its no longer a half gallon of ice cream, or a pound of coffee.......

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Congrats to you!

Love that photo of you and your dear husband.

Enjoy your week ~ FlowerLady