“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat. In our mad rush for progress and modern improvements let's be sure we take along with us all the old-fashioned things worth while.” Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Lewis & Clark Cookbook ~ A Book Review (Rave)

We are enjoying the bounty of mixed greens from the garden .. including edible weeds (lambs quarter).

 Today's harvest was turned into cream of sorrel soup and a lovely mixed green salad .. accompanied with chicken patties (similar to crab cakes).

The Youngin' ate four plates of salad .. he's still a growing teen.

The soup recipe came from this book, The Lewis & Clark Cookbook .. picked up yesterday at a neighbor's garage sale for 25 cents.  Ha, if you look at the price on Amazon at over $3,000 .. one might think I got a great bargain.  Someone either made a mistake .. or just doesn't want to part with the cookbook.  Ebay sells it for about $12.    The book contains historic recipes from the Corps of Discovery & Thomas Jefferson.  First published in 2002, the book is delightfully woven with hand penned notes written by Lewis and Clark.  Wouldn't it be fun to host a meal and use just this cookbook?


Sunday ~ the clouds roll in and out.  Right now it's clouding up and wanting to storm.  Yesterday there was a break from the rain .. and the neighborhood was abuzz with lawn mowers.  Today the Mr. is trimming.

Time to scoot and clean up the kitchen.  Then I'll put on a nice old fashioned movie .. boy meets girl .. prairie romance.  

What's up in your world?

2 comments:

Marie Gregg said...

I had my first crab cake a couple of months ago for dinner at the shelter one night. I'm not a fish girl, so I was surprised that I liked it. I bet I'd love chicken patties! Do you have a recipe?

Mrs. Mac said...

Hi Marie .. Yes, I used this salmon patty recipe substituting canned chicken. Simply simple! http://this-newhouse.blogspot.com/2013/12/grain-gluten-free-salmon-cakes.html