Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Lewis & Clark Cookbook ~ A Book Review (Rave)

We are enjoying the bounty of mixed greens from the garden .. including edible weeds (lambs quarter).

 Today's harvest was turned into cream of sorrel soup and a lovely mixed green salad .. accompanied with chicken patties (similar to crab cakes).

The Youngin' ate four plates of salad .. he's still a growing teen.

The soup recipe came from this book, The Lewis & Clark Cookbook .. picked up yesterday at a neighbor's garage sale for 25 cents.  Ha, if you look at the price on Amazon at over $3,000 .. one might think I got a great bargain.  Someone either made a mistake .. or just doesn't want to part with the cookbook.  Ebay sells it for about $12.    The book contains historic recipes from the Corps of Discovery & Thomas Jefferson.  First published in 2002, the book is delightfully woven with hand penned notes written by Lewis and Clark.  Wouldn't it be fun to host a meal and use just this cookbook?


Sunday ~ the clouds roll in and out.  Right now it's clouding up and wanting to storm.  Yesterday there was a break from the rain .. and the neighborhood was abuzz with lawn mowers.  Today the Mr. is trimming.

Time to scoot and clean up the kitchen.  Then I'll put on a nice old fashioned movie .. boy meets girl .. prairie romance.  

What's up in your world?

2 comments:

Marie said...

I had my first crab cake a couple of months ago for dinner at the shelter one night. I'm not a fish girl, so I was surprised that I liked it. I bet I'd love chicken patties! Do you have a recipe?

Mrs. Mac said...

Hi Marie .. Yes, I used this salmon patty recipe substituting canned chicken. Simply simple! http://this-newhouse.blogspot.com/2013/12/grain-gluten-free-salmon-cakes.html