Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Monday, July 17, 2006

The image of the basement was easy to copy since we're not building a full basement, and the remainder of the house footprint (except for garage) is to be crawlspace. This area of the house is 670 sq. feet and will be completed and used as a family room and place for our dog to sleep during the winter. I'm looking into polished concrete floors . They're easy to keep clean and can be mopped. Our dog is a golden retriever and sheds a pile of "cotton candy" hair that would plug up the best vacuum. I'm sure we'll put in some large area rugs too and wear our slippers. This floor treatment can be beautiful if done properly and will work well in the laundry room too. Now I have to sell the idea to dh :) ... easy, I'll just take him to the new animal hospital and show him how beautiful concrete can be. (click on image to enlarge)

2 comments:

Pat said...

I've seen those polished concrete floors, they seem like a good idea, and I think they look neat. What are they polished with? I wonder if their slippery? I think it would make clean up much easier, and I'm all about easier! My daughter has two Golden's and they are so pretty, but such hairy things!

Mrs. Mac said...

bg ... I always worry about slippery floors (we had a huge marble floor in our foyer at our last home ... and surprisingly, it was not slippery). If you check the link I provided and click on basement floors, they say you can add a non slip additive.