Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Caffeine ... Giving It Up!

Tired of not getting good sleep at night, I'm giving up COFFEE, TEA, & CHOCOLATE!  Yesterday was 'ground zero' .. and I felt like a zombie or couch potato.  Today is a bit better.  Going cold turkey is hard .. especially when the rest of my family perks up a pot in the morning.  What do I drink in it's place?  For now warm water mixed with a little piece of lemon and a sprinkle of ginger.  Sometimes .. just plain very warm water.  When I get to the store, I'll buy some herbal tea.  But .. for now ... the water is sufficing.  Doing a little research yesterday, I found out that white and oolong teas have less caffeine than black tea.  And if you use whole leaves instead of the minced stuff in bags .. then infuse the tea for a few seconds .. throwing away the first 'brew' .. and make a second go of the same infusion .. most of any caffeine will be gone.  Will let you know if this works.  I'm very sensitive to caffeine .. and apparently it can cause allergies .. which I have in the form of hives on occasion.  I've heard that it can take up to eight weeks to detox from caffeine .. so far .. no headache!

8 comments:

Mama Rachael said...

I gave up coffee and caffeinated teas for my baby-- its been hard, I just miss coffee in general. I might go to decaf. There are certainly benefits to giving it all up, but some distinct pleasures and benefits to drinking coffee!

I love the celestial seasons teas best. Not all are decaf, but most are herbal and fruit based, and very yummy with a spoon of honey.

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

What do you know about Postum (I THINK that's how it's spelled...)? I HAVE sometimes drunk plain hot water...and been satisfied. We DO like our coffee here, and I don't have any discernible negative effects from it. We do mix 1/2 regular with 1/2 decaf though...

MAYBELLINE said...

Now be sensible - please. Chocolate is an essential part of a well balanced diet for a well balanced woman. Reconsider your dedication.

meemsnyc said...

Oh wow, you are so brave! I tried to give up coffee once, and it didn't last. I couldn't get over the tired feeling. Green tea is also a great alternative to drink as well!

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Please forgive my forewardness here, but I won't mince words about this with you. The pesticides used on coffee and cocoa plants are deadly to everything. If you do not drink organic coffee you are drinking little more than poison. I believe this is what is giving you grief, as it did for both my husband and I. Coffee, tea, and chocolate are very, very nutritious foods. The fact that your body desires them, and the caffine, is a akin to eating protein because that is what your body needs at the time. Neither of us has had nervous sleeplessness or dealt with the negative effects of allergic reaction like we once did. Aside, we purchase "fairtrade" organic products, knowing our luxury is produced from slave labor. I have included some links, and while not from medical papers (can't find the proper links now) they confirm what I say.

http://www.momscape.com/articles/chocolate.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Can-Coffee-Benefit-Womens-Health?&id=4595982

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/486089/thirteen_benefits_of_drinking_coffee.html

http://www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/

Mrs. Mac said...

Rural Rose .. my sleep problems are stemming from 'the change' .. and caffeine exacerbates good sleep. This kicking the caffeine is going better than planned .. although I'm still not sleeping too well. Seems an afternoon nap is stealing my nights sleep .. so will have to remedy that. As for organic, I do drink organic whole teas .. and organic fair trade (locally roasted by Doma Coffee http://domacoffee.com/product_expanded.php?id=702&secid=6) I'm just a coffee addict;( .. and need to break from this habit. For me, caffeine causes heart palpitations (because I drink too much). So .. going cold turkey is going OK .. no headaches .. or jitters .. or heart palpitations. Maybe one day I can enjoy it in small moderation when I get un-addicted to it. I checked out the links you posted .. thank you for giving me 'hope' that I can safely drink coffee again .. some day.

I typically would drink three or four cups of coffee a day .. and a cup of brewed tea mid afternoon.

Pat said...

Good for you for taking care of yourself. No one knows what makes you feel good or bad better then you.
I drink one cup a day, have it first thing in the morning. I do crave it in the morning, nothing else seems to satisfy. Usually that's it for me unless we go out somewhere. Hal on the other hand....he keeps Juan Valdez in business! I think it's a habit he developed in the Fire House.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Good on you for knowing what is best for you, you are too valueable to this world to take any unnecessary risk. I should have known you were already organic/fairtrade my e-friend. Peace