Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Friday, August 04, 2023

Garden Life

 The past two years were spent volunteering as the state leader for a national women's service organization. My elected term was for two years - leading into it was the opening up of society from the pandemic. A stressful time without leading a robust state society - even more so with large state meetings and 65,000 miles of travel around the USA! My term ended July 2nd and it has taken me until August 2 to decompress and feel like my old relaxed self again.

This past spring our fenced garden area received new raised beds and drip lines - minimal planting was done and I've started to compile a list of flowers to plant for next year. Small confession - this week I picked off some type of caterpillars (two) who had taken up residence in my borage plants - not even thinking! Turns out they were painted lady butterfly caterpillars - boy do I feel guilty! My garden is a pollinator garden and I just removed two beneficial insects (sigh)!

What's growing in your garden?





3 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm so happy to see you back! Just this week, I trimmed back my borage. I just did chop and drop, so it's still in the vicinity of the borage, but I had no idea it was a host plant for any butterflies. I'll definitely look it over tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it.

daisy g said...

Honest mistake. We can't know everything, right? ;0D

Our garden is in limbo. Not time yet to harvest sweet potatoes, and hoping to transplant a few cool weather crops this weekend.
Enjoy your day!

Saija said...

my garden is now just 2 baskets, 2 cedars and a bleeding hearts bush ... lol ... but i so admire the beauty of flowers that others plant and tend ... ;)