Photo: Great grandparents at their farm in Blandinsville, IL, with five of their six children .. my grandpa was yet a twinkle in grandma's eye. Stable boy and governess also pictured. Hodges farm, circa 1903-4

Tuesday, August 08, 2023

The Time Keeper's Daughter

From the time I can remember, family heirlooms have always been passed along to me: photographs, parlor oil lamps, great grandma's roasting pan, her rolling pin, salt & pepper shakers, tea cups, dining room light, and flower vases to name a few. Mom was an only child so that worked in my favor.

Grandparent's dining room light

Growing up I lived next door to my maternal grandparents. I thought they were rich beyond my world because they had a color television with a remote clicker. I would watch Grandpa empty his piggy bank every few months - he would let me roll the coins.

Grandpa's bank

 I have always felt at home with gathered furniture, vintage dressers, different time periods blended together ... brown wooden furniture, not chalk painted. However, I do have vintage white bedroom furniture to make a light and airy room. 

Gr-gr-great Grandma's oil lamp

Braided woolen rugs, hardwood floors, shaker kitchen cabinets, pressed back oak dining room chairs .. nothing matches but everything blends and appears timeless. This year I had my grandparents wall clock restored - it pleasantly chimes every quarter hour and needs to be wound on the seventh day. With every tic-tock tick-tock it brings back memories of Sunday dinner at Grandma's - a tradition that lasted until Grandma said one day that that was the last Sunday meal she could make. 

Grandparent's chiming clock

I see the same 'Time Keeper' qualities in my youngest daughter Ann. She is even more sentimental and purposeful about making memories for her children. I suppose the person who snidely referred to my "big ole Walton style family" knew what they were talking about. We gather around the table often, make memories, and build bonds that will pass from one generation to the next.


3 comments:

Diane (Aunt Di) said...

I love this, Cathy. Old things have always seemed more precious to me. What I don't know my imagination fills in for me. I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing.

Jada's Gigi said...

Your home is a lovely compilation of your history. I like a few old things...to remind me of whence I came....but not to overwhelm my own style. I have a couple of pots with the steam valves on top and when those get to going its like being in my Granny's kitchen. I have a couple of pieces of furniture...enough to ground my decor and that's pretty much it. I do however focus on making memories and life experiences with my kids and grands. That's the good stuff!

Deb E (waiting on the Trumpet call!) said...

Ah, the memories… I have some Hall dishes in my kitchen from one grandmother, and jewelry and a Capodimonte covered nut dish from the other. My Dad and worked on creating a lamp together, I drew the design and he painted it… one of my most cherished possessions even though it matches nothing in our home! My Mom and I…I doubt I’ll inherit from her because I do believe our time her in earth is short! Dear reader, are you loving Jesus? The most important decision you will ever make in this life is to acknowledge Him as Lord💜